Checkout Periods, Overdue Fines, and Limits
|Material||Check Out Period (Days)||Overdue Charge (Daily)||Check Out Limit|
|Books, Adult and Juvenile||28||$0.25||*|
|New Books, Adult||14||$0.25||*|
|Juvenile Holiday Books, in Season||7||$0.25||Varies|
|Entertainment DVDs||7||$2.00||Max 6 per day / 12 total|
|Book Club Kits||45||$1.00||2|
|*total checkout limit=100|
Checking Out Library Materials
- You will need a valid library card to check out library materials. To learn more about getting or updating your library card, see Getting A Library Card.
- Bring your library card and the items you want to borrow to the Circulation Desk.
- You will receive a receipt that shows each title you have checked out and the date it’s due back to the library.
- Some items cannot be checked out- these items are marked Reference or have a red “R” on the spine.
Returning and Renewing
- You can renew most items by visiting or calling any library, logging on to your account online, or calling our automated line any time at 313-943-3091.
- Items can only be renewed two (2) times (with the exception of items with a waiting list, book club kits and video games) and overdue material or late charges may prevent renewal. If material is renewed after the due date, appropriate overdue fines will be assessed.
- Items can be returned to any Dearborn library branch- Henry Ford Centennial, Bryant, or Esper.
- Items can be returned even when the library is closed by placing items in the outdoor return slot at any branch.
**To learn how to renew or return a borrowed item click here**
- If your fines reach $10.00 or more, you must pay before you will be allowed to check out materials. Notices of overdue materials are mailed after 7 days.
- If you receive a notice and are certain you have returned the materials, please notify the library immediately.
- If you have excessive overdue fines and/or fees, your account will be referred to a collection agency, and a collection fee will be added.
- A $30 fee will be charged for checks returned for insufficient funds.
- Online payments for fines and fees can be made here.
Any outstanding credit balance $5.00 or less on expired (over one year) accounts will be considered a donation to Dearborn Public Library. Credit balances in excess of $5.00 are reported to the State of Michigan and they will manage the application to refund this unclaimed amount. Accounts are reviewed by the Library on an annual basis.