To get a library card, go to any Dearborn Public Library. Please bring proof of address (driver’s license or state identification card). You will be asked to complete an application form. If you are under 18, a parent or legal guardian must give their written consent on the application form before a new card is issued. If a child does not have proof of address, the parent or legal guardian must provide proof of address.
You can fill out an online application prior to coming to the library by downloading it here.
Free cards are issued to:
- Dearborn residents
- Non-resident Dearborn taxpayers and their family members residing at the same address Proof of current payment of City of Dearborn taxes is required.
- Family members residing at the same address as non-resident paid cardholders
- Non-residents who live in the Dearborn School District
- Non-residents who are currently employed at a business located in the city or school district of Dearborn. You are required to present:
- A letter on official letterhead stationery from their Dearborn employer (this form may be from the personnel office) which verifies employment.
- Valid proof of residential address with photo ID.
- Please note: Family members at the same address are NOT eligible for a card.
- Non-residents who attend an educational institution in the city or school district of Dearborn. You must present picture ID with valid proof of address and one of the items described below to verify attendance. Note: Any credit class (example: English as a second language, GED, Job Skills training) is acceptable.
- Current school ID with indication of current semester enrollment
- Letter from school verifying attendance
- Current school report card
- Copy of tuition receipt
- Copy of current transcript
- Please note: Family members at the same address are NOT eligible for a card; children enrolled in daycare or preschool facilities in the City of Dearborn are NOT eligible for a card.
- Non-resident City of Dearborn employees and their family members residing at the same address
- Dearborn Heights residents
Residents of The Library Network (TLN) Communities
- If you are a member of a TLN library community then you may be eligible for a TLN card through the Dearborn Public Library
The cost is $80.00 per year. With proof of address, family members residing at the same address receive a free card.
Report loss or theft of the library card to any Dearborn Public Library immediately. This will prevent the card from being used. Until a library card is reported lost or stolen, you are financially responsible for all materials checked out with your card.
Each library account is assigned a 4 digit PIN code. By default this number will be the last 4 digits of your phone number.
To adjust your PIN, log onto your account and visit the profile tab.