Michigan Electronic Library Catalog
Dearborn Public Library users have access to MeLCat, a state-wide resource-sharing system comprised of many Michigan public and academic libraries. Participating libraries of the Michigan eLibrary system have agreed to share their materials with other libraries at no cost to the library user.
- Books and media items will be delivered to the Henry Ford Centennial Library for pickup.
- MeLCat materials are to be returned toHFCL.
- Click here or on the MeL logo to get started
Who can use MeLCat?
- Dearborn residents and paid cardholders with accounts in good standing may use MeLCat.
- Cardholders must have an email address on their library account. MeLCat will send an email when MeLCat materials are ready for pick up. Special arrangements may be made for patrons with no email address.
How does MeLCat work?
- Visit mel.org to search, place requests, renew materials, review account status, and cancel requests that have not shipped. No holds are allowed as only available items are able to be requested.
To place a request:
- Access the MeLCat website at mel.org and click MeLCat at the top of the page.
- Select the search criteria: keyword, author, title, or series title. Type in the information.
- Click the Search
- A list of material will appear. Click on a title for more information. When the item needed is located, click on Get this item from MeLCat.
- Select Dearborn Public Library as your home library and enter your name (first name followed by last name or last name, first name; it works either way) and library card number.
- Click the Submit
- To request a renewal log into MyMeLCat, check the box next to the item you want to renew, and click the Renew Selected
- The standard loan period for books is 4 weeks. The loan period starts the moment the book arrives in our building. One renewal (for another 4 weeks) may be requested but is never guaranteed. A renewal request may only be attempted during the 7-day period before the book is due.
- The loan period for media items is 14 days. There is no renewal for media items.
What can be borrowed?
- Books and media that are not available in the Dearborn Public Library system can be borrowed.
- Users are allowed 70 total active requests at a time. This includes requested books and media, books and media checked out to you, as well as books and media waiting to be checked back in.
How long will it take to get the item?
- The average time for processing and shipping is 10-14 working days. This time may vary and you are encouraged to check the status of your request by logging into MyMeLCat. Any requests that are not filled within 25 days are automatically canceled and MeLCat will notify you by email.
Where are items picked up and returned?
- MeLCat items can be picked up at HFCL.
- Please do not remove any labels or stickers from any MeLCat items. These are needed to return the items to the lending library.
- Your MeLCat record will not show on your Dearborn Public Library record.